The Botanical Garden of the Canton Ticino is located on the Isola Piccola on the Lago Maggiore.
Created by Antoinette St. Leger in 1885, since 1950 it belongs to the Canton.
The local insubric climate, with mild temperatures and abundant rainfalls, allows to cultivate subtropical plants over more than 2.5 hectares.
The collection is mainly formed by species coming from the Mediterranean basin, the Cape region in South Africa, the Californian coast, the South-East coasts of Australia and the central region of Chile.
Thanks to its management according to the scientific criteria of Botanic Gardens Conservation International, the Botanic Garden is a member of the Association of Swiss Botanic Gardens (Hortus Botanicus Helveticus) and is internationally connected to the IPEN network (International Plant Exchange Network) aimed at supporting biodiversity and collaboration between its members.